Friday 27 October 2017

Block 4 HD and prepped 5

Hi everyone,

Thank you for dropping by to see what l have been doing.

This week l have managed to finish another block for my Hearts Desire Quilt by Esther Aliu.  I don't seem to be able to stop working on this and have certainly discovered doing two blocks at a time much quicker.  It simply means you have to be extra careful labelling each piece, particularly marking with an arrow which is the point of a leaf and which part goes under another.

Here is my block









 Now my next one is prepped and pinned.
I pin each piece on to my block, to make sure all the pieces are there, nothing worse than starting the block and find8nd one piece is missing and you have to go back to the cutting routine.


Here are my blocks laid out on the floor.  My middle block is drawn out.  I use  Frixion pens.  I have not had problems with the markings returning.
When you have completely finished sewing your block, l use steam and iron off any marks which may be showing.
There are several Frixion pens, make sure you have the correct one.  I tried the gel pen, which l did not like  Always test on a spare piece of your  fabric.

Finally laid out on the floor. My progress so far




I have already ordered my fabric for my centre, it requires a rather unusual fabric for fussy cutting.  Its on its way, one downside to living here, fabric is expensive, l am buying now from the UK and the USA, yes even with postage its still cheaper than in Spain,

I must tell you about some super Applique needles l have found.  They glide through the fabric like no other needle l have found.

They are made in Japan and are called Hiroshima Needles.  I have Applique Needle No. 10 with a large eye.  Just Google for them, there will be a shop in your country that sells them.  They come in a box in a glass case and cost  about 8 Euros for 6  needles.



FARM WORK
We have been very busy on the farm.  Getting ready for spraying.  New battery for the tractor bought and a new Sprayer.  Its a job for special equipment, a covering suit, mask.  Its getting cooler and John goes out around 7am before the day gets warm, its unusually hot still for October 26C during the day.  The trees have already been pruned so this is the next job.

Thats all for this week.  Thank you for looking and please comment, , the box is small but its at the finish of this weeks blog

Linking now to Esther's  WOW.





4 comments:

  1. Hi Ellie, a quick question, when you prep using the Floriani stabiliser, do you use blue to turn the edges down. I know it's iron on to the fabric on one side, but it's when you turn down the edges I'm interested in. I tried glue stick and found it to make the thin stabiliser very weak and the edge of the stabiliser shape turns with the fabric so it's not a smooth edge anymore. I will try with starch next. Thoughts and advise please. Have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should read "glue" not blue to turn the edges down, sorry.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the blue glue bit, l read foreign lol. First of all put your glue on the edge of the fabric only not the Foriana. Have a flat surface, sit at a table and use a tooth pick to turn your fabric over, l use small embroidery scissors as well. Start at the edge nearest you and flip the fabric over. I use Pritt stick, but keep it covered and work on a small piece at a time. I say keep it covered because it goes hard in th8s heat. Hope that helps. PS cover your work surface, although pritt stick washes of with a damp cloth easily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the blue glue bit, l read foreign lol. First of all put your glue on the edge of the fabric only not the Foriana. Have a flat surface, sit at a table and use a tooth pick to turn your fabric over, l use small embroidery scissors as well. Start at the edge nearest you and flip the fabric over. I use Pritt stick, but keep it covered and work on a small piece at a time. I say keep it covered because it goes hard in th8s heat. Hope that helps. PS cover your work surface, although pritt stick washes of with a damp cloth easily

    ReplyDelete